Thursday, April 19, 2012

Conda V. Douglas: The Mall Fairies: Exile

Something different! Two special guests visit The Plain today. A warm, chocolaty welcome to Conda V. Douglas, author of The Mall Fairies: Exile (among other title), first in a delightful "tween" fantasy trilogy.

Welcome also to Pudge, the Foodie Fairy member of The Mall Fairies. Pudge will soon star in her very own short story. Today she is graciously sharing one of her favorite recipes, and it sounds heavenly!

PUDGE THE FOODIE FAIRY’S
FAVORITE COOKIES

Hi, I’m a five-inch-tall, teal-winged fairy who lives in the attic of a shopping mall. I’m a so-called secondary character in The Mall Fairies: Exile, although there’s nothing secondary about me. That’s shown by me having my own short story, A Foodie Fairy’s First Foray, due out in September. Yup, that’s me, I’m the Foodie Fairy. It’s my job, with my team, to go borrow… um … find … um … steal food from the mall’s Food Court for High Haven, that’s the name of our town up in the attic. I’m called Pudge, an awful name, but accurate. Although pretty soon the name will not apply to me. I’m working hard at foraging healthy food from the Food Court for my diet. Of course I’ll never get slim if I can’t stay away from the Cookie Lady’s shop and these Toffee Chocolate Cookie Bars … Hmm, I wonder if she’s made a fresh batch? Better go check.

TOFFEE CHOCOLATE COOKIE BARS

Ingredients:
1 cup butter softened
1 cup brown sugar
1-3 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups unbleached flour
1 to 1½ cups chocolate chips

Cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add flour. Stir in chocolate. Press into a 15" x 10" x 1" pan. Bake at 350° for about 25 minutes or until a lovely medium brown. Cut into squares and remove while still warm (if you wait you’ll never get it out of the pan). Really yummy while warm too.

Variation: add a cup of chopped walnuts, peanuts or pecans. You can substitute nuts for the chocolate as well, but why?
* * * * *
Conda, here, taking over from Pudge. The first in my Mall Fairies trilogy, The Mall Fairies: Exile is out now. For more about me (and more recipes!) visit my blog, Conda’s Creative Center. For more on my writing visit my author page on Amazon.

And most of all, thank you, Pat McDermott, for the wonderful opportunity to be on Across the Plain of Shining Books!


* * * * *
The Mall Fairies: Exile / Available from

5 comments:

  1. Love the sound of your Fairies books, Conda - and thanks for that yummy recipe, Pudge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, Rosemary, says Conda and Pudge. And Pudge adds that this recipe is very easy to make.

      Delete
  2. Your Fairies books sound wonderful, Conda! And the recipe sounds absolutely magical! :) Must try it next baking day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia--and this recipe is addictive, so much so I have to watch myself when I'm cutting it out of the pan, otherwise none of it gets on the plate!

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Rosemary and Cynthia, for stopping by to meet Pudge. And special thanks to Pudge for sharing her recipe. Thanks for letting her visit, Conda. Meeting her was a pleasure!

    ReplyDelete