Saturday, September 1, 2012

Kristin A. Sinclair - Henry VIII: His Life and Legacy

Author Kristin A. Sinclair brings her recently released Henry VIII: His Life and Legacy to The Plain today. The blurb on Amazon describes this exciting new biography of King Henry as "A Brief Introduction to the Lives of Henry VIII and His Successors for Novices of Tudor History." The book, which has already received several 5-star reviews, is available in both e-book and paperback formats, and would serve as a wonderful primer for students and history buffs alike. And, to coincide with this interview, Kristin is generously offering Henry VIII: His Life and Legacy for FREE on Amazon today and tomorrow!

Welcome, Kristin. Tell us something about yourself. Where are you from?
I was born and raised in Montana in the USA. However, wanderlust got the better of me when I was in my early twenties, and I moved to Scandinavia. From there, I traveled around pretty much most of Europe. The winds then blew me to the Middle East for a number of years, and then back again to Scandinavia, where I am currently living.
Powerful winds indeed. What sparked your interest in writing?
I’m not sure that anything ‘sparked’ it. I started writing in journals when I was only a child, so it almost seems as if the desire to write has always been there within me - an already existent flame, just waiting to be fueled. Reading certainly functioned as that fuel. I have devoured just about anything in print since I was very young, and when you read a lot, you often find yourself wanting to write all the more. Inspiration and ideas just seem to flow.
What inspired you to write about Henry VIII?
As I write in the preface, I read my first book on Henry when I was about 11 years old, and not only did that ignite a passion for British history in general, but for the Tudor period in particular. I have always found Henry VIII fascinating, and since he was responsible for my initiation into the world of British history, I wanted to write my first book about him and his successors.
Please tell us a little about your book.
First and foremost, this is a book for beginners, and I believe this is what sets it apart from other books on the Tudors currently on the market. It is not an in-depth academic study, but rather an introductory work meant for Tudor history novices. I have therefore written it in a conversational style and have made it as brief as possible, while still including all of the most essential information. My intention in doing this has been to encourage the study of Tudor history. I think the length and detail of many books on the Tudors discourage the beginner, the reader who may have an interest in the dynasty, but who is looking for something short and introductory as a starting point. I wanted to provide something for these readers.

The book itself covers Henry’s life and marriages, as well as the lives of his successors. To supplement this information, I have also included presentations of some key figures, a description of Tudor society, a glossary and a chronology. The ebook also includes a section of weblinks to images and further information, as well as direct links to glossary definitions from various terms within the text that may be unfamiliar to the beginner.
Sounds like a wonderful reference. When you’re not writing, what do you like to read?
Well, my taste is fairly eclectic. I am interested in a great many things apart from history, and my home library certainly reflects this. It includes everything from history books on the Tudors, the Celts and various historical periods and figures, to books on things such as reincarnation, healing, spirituality, philosophy and the paranormal. I also have quite a bit of contemporary fiction, and I’m extremely fond of classic literature (Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Charlotte Brontë, etc.).
What’s next for you? Can we look forward to a new book in the near future?
Absolutely. I have several works in progress at the moment: my History To Go micro-book series, which will be an entire series of short, introductory books between 50-100 pages that will cover various historical topics (the Renaissance, Enlightenment, Age of Discovery, etc.), a book of poetry and several fiction manuscripts. As with my taste in books, my writing is varied, and I will ultimately be publishing in several different genres.
I suspect many readers will look forward to reading your work. All the best to you and your writing, Kristin!
* * * * *
About Kristin Sinclair:
Kristin Sinclair was educated at universities in both the USA and Norway, studying history, philosophy, religion and culture, subjects that she has been passionate about her entire adult life. For the past two decades, she has lived in various locations around the world and has worked as a translator and writer, authoring numerous articles that have been published in both print and electronic medias. Henry VIII: His Life and Legacy is Ms. Sinclair’s first book. She is currently working on several fiction manuscripts, as well as her History to Go reference series, a collection of micro-books that will cover various historical periods, groups and figures.
* * * * *
Henry VIII: His Life and Legacy / Available from

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kristin,

    Very interesting interview. I'm excited to see your "History to Go" series.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Cheryl. Kristin's series does sound interesting!

      Delete
  2. Thanks to everyone who stopped by to meet Kristin and King Henry!

    ReplyDelete