Thursday, October 4, 2012

June Kramin: Dustin's Turn


Romance, suspense, and middle grade author June Kramin visits The Plain today to introduce Dustin’s Turn, the long-awaited sequel to her paranormal time travel romance, Dustin Time.

Welcome, June. I understand you spent several years in Hawaii. How idyllic! Where are you living now?
I spent from age 4-27 on Maui. I always hesitate to use the term "grew up." Currently, I’m on a small hobby farm in Southern Minnesota.
What sparked your interest in writing?
I’ve been told since I was in the 3rd grade that I’d be a writer. It just took some settling down on my part for me to actually get to it. My teachers must have seen something I didn’t.
How would you generally categorize the books/stories you write?
Although I’m a fan of my suspense & thrillers, there is still always a romantic element to my stories. I love a guy that puts up with a "feisty broad." ;)
Don’t we all! Do you set your books/stories in your hometown, or do you prefer more exotic locations?
I’ve done a little bit of both. I’ve based a lot of stories in Hawaii and the places I know. For some that’s exotic, so I guess with my hometown, I get to cheat.
How much of your writing is based on people or events familiar to you?
Probably more than most. I take a lot of liberties with my writing. Everyone says they have a book in them. I guess I lived enough for 20+. Most of my MCs have a job I did, took a trip I did, etc. Hubby is very patient with me on a lot of the male MC’s having his quirks (or injuries) as well.
What inspired you to write Dustin’s Turn?
Dustin’s Turn is a sequel to my first published book - Dustin Time. I never gave any thought to who Frank was. I had two friends that came up with the same theory. I thought…hmm…that’s pretty good, so I decided to write a book to fit it.
When you first started writing, did anything about the writing process surprise you?
I guess for me, it was how my characters take over a story. I may have an idea of where it would go, but they always had something else in mind. I learned to let them do their thing.
Do you celebrate when you finish a story, and if so, how?
I used to crack a bottle of champagne when I finished. Now, just finishing is its own reward. It’s a short-lived high until the edits and such begin.
Yes, those edits can really flatten a good champagne. Give us a mini-tour of your writing space.
After finishing Dustin Time, I had almost two weeks straight of chiropractor visits. I did too many hours of "power writing" (like 9,000 word days) He told me to stand more, so now I write standing up with an empty cardboard box on my desk. Not too glamorous, but it does the trick.
Name a few titles I’d find if I browsed through your personal home library.
Besides every John Sandford & William Kent Krueger title, you’ll find a mix of friends’ books. That’s all I have time for these days. Absolute Write, Writers Amuse Me, Champagne & Musa Publishing authors are all you’ll see. Can’t think of the last book I read that hit NY top 10 or so. A lot of these books should have though!
You’re a supportive friend, June. What’s next for you? Can we look forward to a new story soon?
I always have a few pots on the fire. I have two romances in the queue for Nov & May as well as a few in my middle grade series. I just finished a thriller that I hope to make a new series. I’m currently beating it into submission. I have a dozen or so books in back log that I need to tune up as well and get busy submitting. Guess I’m not happy unless I have too much going on at once!
What advice would you give an aspiring author?
Run for the hills!!! Seriously, if it’s your passion, don’t give up. Writing is the fun part; everything else is what makes it work. The payoff is worth it if it’s your dream. "If it were easy, everyone would do it." ~Unknown
Thanks so much for visiting today. And now, let’s have a look at Dustin’s Turn.

Blurb:
It’s Dustin’s Turn to go back and fix the past. Can he do it without messing up their present?

When Katie receives a call from Courtney with bad news, she immediately flies to Seattle to be with her. Dusty goes in search of Frank to see about righting this terrible wrong. Upon discovering Katie can’t go back but he can, Dusty eagerly confronts their past, but quickly finds out it’s not as easy as he thought. Getting Katie to fall for him all over again is a challenge he didn’t expect. Finding out the identity of Frank was even more surprising.

Excerpt:
Again Dusty pondered what exactly the significance of Frank’s appearance was for Katie. He never seemed to be much other than someone for her to talk to. Dusty wished he was here for him to talk to now. "Who and what were you, you old codger?" he said aloud.

"You rang?"

Dusty was speechless at the man that stood before him. "I…uh…what?" he said in a raised tone of great shock.

"You rang. Quit your shouting, too. I’m old, not deaf."

"You’re…" Dusty was at a loss for words.

"Here. Now what can I help you with?"

"How did you… why… holy sh—"

What’s the matter boy?"

"Am I dreaming?"

"Why? Do I look like I’m the man of your dreams?"

"No…uh… holy crap."

"Look. You’re the one that showed up looking for me."

"Yeah, but I didn’t think you’d actually show up."

"Are you ever a nut job."

"I think you’re right." Dusty sat back and took a deep breath. "Uh… can I get you coffee or something?"

"I’m fine. Thanks."

"This is just too weird. We’ve hardly talked about you since Katie stayed put."

"Afraid I’d show up again?"

"Something like that I guess."

"You want me to go?"

"No!" Dusty shot to his feet. "I need to talk to you."

"Katie’s doing great, isn’t she?"

"Perfect."

"And the kids?"

"You know about…" Of course he knows, dumbass. "Um… they’re fine."

"Your sister Alyson?"

"She’s fantastic."

"Then what are you jerkin’ my chain for, boy? What’s your pickle?"
* * * * *
About June Kramin:
Wife, Mother, Writer, Lunatic. Not necessarily in that order.

June, who prefers to go by Bug, was born in Philadelphia but moved to Maui, Hawaii when she was four. She met her "Prince Charming" on Kauai and is currently living "Happily Ever After" on a hobby farm in a small town in Southern Minnesota.

She enjoys riding her Paint horse, Ringo, around the small ghost town they are playfully reestablishing with the neighbors and playing in Photoshop. Her son and daughter are her greatest accomplishments. She takes pride in embarrassing them every chance she gets.

Being hopelessly addicted to 80's music is her super power.

* * * * *
Dustin’s Turn / Available from

3 comments:

  1. Thanks a bunch for the interview, Pat!!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted to have you and Dustin, June. I enjoyed learning about you and your writing.

      Delete
  2. Thanks to all who stopped by to check out June's interview!

    ReplyDelete