Monday, October 22, 2012

Peg Pierson: Flirting with Fangs

A vampire story comedy for Halloween? You bet. Author Peg Pierson’s debut novel, and adult paranormal comedy called Flirting with Fangs, features laugh-out-loud characters that literally jump right off the page.

Welcome, Peg. Tell us a little about yourself. Where are you from?
Like the Highlander, I’m from lots of places…but currently, Minnesota.
What sparked your interest in writing?
I’ve always loved reading Horror, and one day I was reading a vampire novel that moved soooo slow I thought, c’mon, bite someone already! I can do better than this! So I did. I wrote a vampire romance called Smitten when Bitten. But like the Titanic, it was filled with wonderful rich characters and destined to sink. After many rejections I took the advice of a kind agent and took some writing classes. That changed my life.
What components, in your opinion, make a great story?
Great characters, face paced action and unexpected twists. You have to have characters readers love or the story won’t work. The reader won’t care. For me personally though I have to say humor. I am a huge fan of Christopher Moore and Mary Janice Davidson. I enjoy suspense, romance, horror and adventure but I always go back to reading humor.
Do you set your books/stories in your hometown, or do you prefer more exotic locations?
I wrote Flirting with Fangs when I was living in New England. My first book takes place in Oklahoma where I first started writing, so I guess I do stick to hometowns.
What inspired you to write Flirting with Fangs?
I had finished writing my first book that starred a sexy handsome vampire as the hero. I was in the shower and standing in the hot mist I imagined him coming to life in my bathroom. I could see his dark outline standing just outside the shower. The image was so strong I just had to write a whole story.
What was the hardest part of the story to write?
The conclusion. I find it pretty easy to write half a book. I’ve got about six other stories half written and awaiting a finish. I have the attention span of a gnat…that’s why I like action and fast moving stories I suppose, so consequently I tend to get itchy to start something new right when I need to buckle down to finish what I am doing.
What was the easiest part of the story to write?
Dialogue. I love to write dialogue. I struggle with emotions and setting. I would give anything if I could create beautiful scenes like you Pat! My writing buddies used to always stop me and say "Hey, great dialogue but where the hell are your characters at?
Aw, thanks, Peg. Was there much research involved?
Ahh….nope. That’s the beauty of paranormal fantasy, and setting the story in your back yard.
Is there a message in your story you want readers to grasp?
My writing is pretty fluffy. But there is a message in Bailey’s story (Flirting with Fangs). Be true to our own identity. You won’t be happy trying to be someone you are not, just to please someone else.
What do you feel is your biggest strength as a writer?
I hope it’s humor. I just want my readers to smile.
I smiled reading the blurb. When you first started writing, did anything about the writing process surprise you?
Yes! Sometimes a character would just start doing something I hadn’t planned. I swear sometimes when I’m deep into a story it’s like the characters really do come to life and start doing what they please!
Which authors do you feel have influenced your writing most?
Again I will mention Christopher Moore and Mary Janice Davidson. They both take risks and write out of the box, so to speak.
Name a few titles I’d find if I browsed through your personal home library.
Nowadays you would have to look at my Nook. I loved The Hunger Games. Most of the other titles would be by Charlaine Harris, Katie Macalister, Christopher Moore and Stephen King. And one older title by Mary Janice Davidson, Derek’s Bane—it’s hilarious!
If you could go back in time, what author would you most like to invite to share a chat and a bottle of wine?
I’d have to say Margaret Mitchell. I just read Gone with the Wind for the first time and I’m fascinated with the social structure of the time period. I would also love to talk with Mary Shelley.
Two outstanding writers indeed. You’re marooned on a desert island. What’s the one book you’d want with you, and why?
Ohh!!! Tough Pat tough!!!! I guess since it’s a desert island I’d have to say Island of the Sequined Love Nun by Christopher Moore. It’s funny and poignant.
What’s next for you? Can we look forward to a new story soon?
I’m just finishing Flirting with Fairies, the sequel to Flirting with Fangs. I’m hoping my editor at Wild Rose Press will pick it up.
I suspect she will. Who supports your writing activities most?
My daughter. She has been my press agent!
I hope you pay her a good commission! What advice would you give an aspiring author?
Don’t do it for the money. Do go to reputable writing classes. Do join a serious critique group. Write what you love to read.
Great advice, Peg. And now, let’s take a peek at Flirting with Fangs.

Blurb:
Vampire romance novelist Bailey Hamilton believes her life is over. Her two-timing husband dumped her. She's developed a paralyzing case of writers' block that threatens to end her career. And her big toe is bleeding.

Torin Kane, vampire hero, is miserable. Chapter after chapter he's battled dragons and demons in pursuit of his archenemy, the treacherous vampire queen, Lillianna. And though his author, Bailey Hamilton, gives him plenty of bodices to rip along the way, Torin's secret desire is to find true love. And maybe something else to wear besides a cape and shiny boots.

With a twist of fate their worlds collide. A magical teardrop summons the sexy fictional vampire to life. And Bailey finds herself face to face with quite literally, the man of her dreams.

Excerpt:
"Don’t move," Bailey said, blow dryer poised over the stranger’s head. "How did you get in here? Huh?" Body wrapped in a towel, her wet tresses clung to her flushed cheeks.

The intruder sat up. He had the most amazing eyes she’d ever seen. They sparkled like dark jewels, and his long lashes were worthy of a mascara commercial.

"Pardon me, m’lady. I mean you no harm."

"What the hell are you doing in my bathroom?" Bailey raised the blow dryer higher.

"I beg your forgiveness, but I have no memory of entering this…ah…what did you call this chamber? The bathroom?"

Bailey wondered why she knelt next to a potential criminal instead of dialing 911. But somehow, even though he scared the bejeezes out of her, once she neared him, all fear melted away. Some inner voice convinced her he was not a threat to her safety. Though by the looks of him, he could be a huge threat to her recent celibacy. Whoever this man was, he was drop-dead gorgeous, and Bailey’s thoughts sprinted off into the forgotten erotic section of her cerebrum.

He needed to lose the knee-high boots, ruffled shirt, and the long black cape. He looked like he just stepped out of a B movie. Or off the cover of a romance novel?

And something about those captivating eyes, and his noble aura, seemed familiar. Very familiar.

Eyeing him suspiciously, Bailey asked, "Who are you?"

"I am Torin Kane, dark warrior of Night Temptations."

Bailey’s blow dryer clattered to the tile floor. And so did Bailey.

* * * * *
About Peg Pierson:
Peg Pierson is a full-fledged Fang Fanatic and slightly deranged Halloween Enthusiast, with a closet full of plywood coffins, an assortment of plastic dismembered body parts, and of course...skeletons. Currently, she lives in Minnesota and is busily typing away on a new paranormal comedy. Along with vampires, she loves her family, pecan kringle, and a good laugh.

* * * * *
Flirting With Fangs / Available in Paperback and E-book from


8 comments:

  1. Hey Pat! It's great to be here! Thanks for the opportunity during this wonderful haunting season.

    Flirting with Fangs was fun to write. I think anyone who enjoys lighthearted comedy will have fun reading it. Happy Halloween everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted to have you, Peg. Best to you and Flirting with Fangs!

      Delete
  2. Hi Peg,
    So much fun to read about you and your book. Love the excerpt. Can't wait to read it!

    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Peg and Pat,
    I enjoyed this interview so much. Peg, your book is laugh out loud funny so far. I can't wait to read the next one!
    Cheers,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, so glad you are enjoying it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Hey Peg! Great interview! Loved reading about the process. Will be downloading your book today. Take care, Pam

    ReplyDelete