Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Stacey Brutger: BloodSworn


Paranormal romance author Stacey Brutger stops in today with an enticing cast of witches and shifters from her new release, BloodSworn. The excerpt she shares is steamy, both figuratively and literally.

Welcome to The Plain, Stacey. Tell us a little about yourself. What sparked your interest in writing?
It took me a while to discover books, but when I cracked open my first cover in grade school, I was hooked. I never really thought about writing one until years later. Once the bug bit, there was no going back. I started out with historical romances, but the paranormal worlds quickly caught my attention. I love building worlds and watching how my characters struggle to survive and find love.
How would you generally categorize the books/stories you write?
I begin every story with the intention of writing a paranormal romance, but my characters always lead me on a merry chase, morphing the story into a dark paranormal romance or urban fantasy.
Do you set your books/stories in your hometown, or do you prefer more exotic locations?
Since I live in a very small town, I usually rely on my imagination and exotic locations for my settings. The paranormal elements in my writing just beg for something a little out of the normal.
Is there much research involved?
I love research and can get lost in it for days, sometimes even weeks. My ideas usually spark from something I found in one of my research jaunts. The story brews in my mind until the perfect characters and settings step forward, demanding that their story be told.
When you first started writing, did anything about the writing process surprise you?
I did a lot of research on writing, took a ton of classes, so it came as a shock to me that by the time I finished my book, I would be so tired of it. I don’t re-read books. After reading my own work a few dozen times, I’m usually more than ready to start something new.
Do you celebrate when you finish a story, and if so, how?
Yes! I tend to celebrate by placing a book order. I have way too many books, so I’ve restricted myself to ordering books only as a reward. Talk about a struggle and a great incentive.
Do you listen to music when you write?
I do! I’m a mother, so I’m used to writing with noise. Now that my son is older, I need the noise and usually have either music or the TV playing in the background.
Give us a mini-tour of your writing space.
I’m fortunate to have a whole room set aside for writing. I call it my library. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your point of view :), I have so many books crammed in the small space that I have very little room to actually sit down and write. I saved myself one small corner and it’s heaven!
Name a few titles I’d find if I browsed through your personal home library.
I’m an equal opportunity reader, so if you perused my library, you’ll find a little bit of everything. My favorite books usually lean toward paranormal romance and urban fantasy, but I also have young adult, dystopian, historical, contemporary, not to mention a ton of research books.
What’s next for you? Can we look forward to a new story soon?
I’m working on my next book called Electric Moon, book two in A Raven Investigations Novel Series. I hope to have it ready to release by summer.
What advice would you give an aspiring author?
Don’t rush! Writing a book takes time. Reaching ‘The End’ is only the beginning. Learn your craft, do some sort of writing task every day, and most importantly, never give up!
And now, let’s take a peek at BloodSworn.

Blurb:
Ten years after they bound her powers and banished her, Trina Weyebridge had successfully carved out a new existence in the human world. She put her life as a witch behind her. But, her magic would not be denied, the bindings holding them in check are weakening. Vampires who crave a taste of the powers stored in her blood are hunting her with deadly force and have kidnapped her sister to lure her out. In a desperate bid to free her sister and gain her own freedom, Trina bargains with the all-too-tempting lion shifter who calls out the long forgotten wild side in her...she would be his concubine in return for pack protection. She’d be safe…until they found out the truth.

UNDENIABLE DESIRE. FORBIDDEN LOVE. INESCAPABLE DESTINY.

When Merrick spots a female intruder living on his property, he’s intrigued by her daring. Curious to find out more, he follows her and comes to her aid when she falls prey to an attack. After weeks of unnatural silence, his beast awakens at her touch, and he suspects that she might be the only one able to save his race from a disease killing his kind. Not willing to take the chance of losing her, he binds her to him the only way he knows how…by claiming her as his own. All he has to do to save her is uncover the secrets of her past, stop a pack revolt, convince her that she’s desperately in love with him in return, and prevent a war.

Excerpt:
Trina woke when the mattress touched her back, or maybe it was the lack of Merrick’s arms around her. She instantly missed his warmth.

She struggled to sit, cursing the darkness, but wondered if she should be thanking it. If she could see, she would know where he stood and would be all the more tempted to pull him into bed with her. "We need to work on your back."

Back, not front, she reminded herself.

"You’re exhausted. We can do that in the morning."

"We’ll lose progress. It will hurt worse if we wait." But maybe he was right. In their current mood, one touch would ignite the passion that’d been brewing between them since they’d first met. Neither needed the complication of sex mixed in this mess. "Or you can take a bath in that mini pool you call a tub. Turn on the water as hot as you can stand it and soak for half an hour."

The lights to the bathroom flicked on. He pursed his lips, something that should’ve made him appear feminine or pouty. Instead, she wondered if they would taste as inviting as they looked. "I’ll make you a deal. You stay in bed and don’t move, and I’ll do as you say."

Putting action to words, he tugged off his shirt. She quickly drew up her feet, fearing he would stop. She was staring, but she couldn’t help it. There was something mesmerizing about seeing all that muscle in motion.

When her gaze finally wandered up to his, breathing became difficult. She half-expected a leer or a crude pass. All she saw was welcoming heat.

She found herself relaxing against the pillows, silently inviting him closer, itching to get her hands all over him.

As if to prolong the chase, he turned away and headed toward the bathroom, unbuttoning his jeans.

A bit of her mourned that he’d moved before she saw what was revealed. The other part of her breathed a sigh of relief to be spared. She tried to tell herself that she was glad, but the lie wasn’t convincing even to herself.

Unable to help herself, she curled up on her side and watched him ready the tub. When he straightened, the last thing she expected was for him to strip off his pants.

No underwear.

That was the only thought circling her mind. She couldn’t seem to think past that. He lowered himself in the tub, and she watched the play of muscles in a sort of unbreakable fascination.
* * * * *
About Stacey Brutger:
Stacey Brutger lives in a small town in Minnesota with her husband and an assortment of animals. When she’s not reading from her thousands of books in her tbr pile, she enjoys creating stories about exotic worlds and grand adventures…then shoving in her characters to see how they’d survive. She enjoys writing anything paranormal from contemporary to historical.
* * * * *
BloodSworn / Available in E-book and Paperback from

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me on the site today!

    I hope you enjoyed the little preview of Merrick and Trina.

    I'm off to work, but I'll stop by later to answer any questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fascinating!! I loved the excerpt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vonda! I appreciate you stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Ha, I love that you buy more books to celebrate. :) Great interview, ladies.

    ReplyDelete