Monday, November 18, 2013

Lane McFarland: The Daughters of Alastair MacDougall

Attention, Scottish romance fans! Historical romance author Lane McFarland visits The Plain today with a double treat. She’s not only sharing excerpts from her recent releases, Cameron and Heather, she’s giving away a copy of each. Be sure to leave your contact info in your comments! 

Welcome, Lane.
Thank you for having me, Pat. I’m really excited about being a guest on your blog.
I’m delighted to have you. How would you generally categorize the books/stories you write?
I love all romance novels, but my favorites are historical books set in Scotland or Ireland. That is where my heart lies and it is the genre I love to write.
Your series is set in the late thirteenth century. Can you picture yourself living in that era?
I am very passionate about history, and although I’m not sure I would have wanted to live back then, I love the ages from the thirteenth – seventeenth century. Conditions might have been a bit too harsh for me as I do enjoy the 21st century conveniences and modernized healthcare!
Can we look forward to a new story soon?
Now that I’ve finished Cameron and Heather, I’m writing Lindsey’s story. She is a real tomboy at heart, loves horses and as with her sisters, she is headstrong and independent. Dressed in lad’s clothing, she rebels at a world dominated by men and secretly delivers missives behind enemy lines to the Scottish warriors. Along the way, she falls in love with a Scottish warrior, Logan Ross.
What’s your favorite quotation?
When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time." - Author Unknown
What’s your favorite TV show or series, and why?
I have to say, The Tudors. What an excellent show! Set in sixteenth-century England, the series depicts the life of King Henry VIII and his six wives. I learned so much about that period in this series. The actors were superb, the costumes simply unbelievable and the story riveting. I recommend it to everyone!
Name a few of your favorite non-writing activities.
I’m a southern girl living on top of a mountain in North Georgia, and I’m most happy when surrounded by family and friends. If I am not writing, you can find me hiking with my husband, or fiddling around in my flower and vegetable gardens, feeding the birds and watching black bears and deer. I am blessed to have a wonderful son—my pride and joy, my buddy who, along with my husband, has made my life complete.
I'm guessing that mountain inspires your writing. Speaking of which, tell us about your stories.
I just released the first two books of my historical Scottish romance series on October 25th. Here is a bit about them.
The Daughters of Alastair MacDougall
Set in late thirteenth century Scotland, this series tells the stories of Laird Alastair MacDougall’s four independent and oftentimes, headstrong daughters coming of age in a country fraught with war and feuds amongst rival clans. Follow his daughters as their lives become intertwined with four fierce, rebel highland warriors bent on eradicating the English soldiers from their homeland.

Cameron
Determined to band Scots together against English tyranny, Laird Robert Graham seals a truce with his feuding neighbor, the MacDougalls. But after his brother is nearly killed in a treacherous attack, Graham kidnaps the laird’s daughter in an act of revenge.

Cameron MacDougall has devoted her life to the healing arts. She’s long rebelled against her father’s feuding ways, but when Robert Graham abducts her, she’s finds herself at the center of the dispute between their families. She expects the anger she feels, not the simmering attraction to the powerful warrior, or the love she develops for his clan.

Can she stop further violence between the clans with her escape? Or will she find her surrender leads to a lasting peace and her own heart’s desire?

Heather
Bent on overcoming the belief he’s failed his aging father, Laird Alec Campbell concentrates on proving his worth to his people. He provides for them and leads men into battle, vowing never again to disappoint his clan or lose his heart.

Bound by a promise to her dying mother, Heather MacDougall secretly leads rebel warriors in her quest to keep her clan intact and hold off those who plot to overtake her father’s land. She fights to keep her secrets safe, while resisting the lure of the handsome young laird who challenges her defenses.

They can’t deny their passionate attraction, but can their love survive their secrets?

Excerpt from Cameron:
Cameron continued down the worn trail to a damp, shady area where ground ivy grew. The plant reduced pain and swelling around bruises and was useful when treating coughs and sore throats. Kneeling beside the vines, she cut the soft, hairy leaves and placed them in her basket.

She stood and made her way deeper into the forest, stopping along the way to collect cuttings. A patch of feathery-leaved yarrow to staunch the flow of blood from wounds, sprouted in the sunshine. She snipped the soft, dark green leaves, and then discovered a cluster of comfrey. The ointment made from crushing the large leaves and mixing them with water soothed and healed cuts and bruises. She clipped several plants and placed them alongside the others in her basket.

A twig snapped.

Her head jerked toward the noise.

Robert Graham leaned against a tree, holding broken sticks in his hands. Her heart slammed against her chest at seeing him again. He didn’t utter a word, but instead he stared at her with solemn intensity.

She stood and faced him. Why was he here? What did he want?

He dropped the sticks on the ground and pushed away from the trunk. Dark hair hung past his broad shoulders. His cream-colored shirt lay open at the neck, exposing suntanned skin and black curls. Grey woolen trews hugged his long muscular legs as he stalked toward her. His eyes no longer held the twinkle that so easily caused flitters in her stomach. In fact, his thick brows drew together, and his dark eyes narrowed.

She clutched her basket in front of her and stepped back, trying to calm her body’s trembling.

He stopped within a few feet of her. Unlike their earlier encounter, his large muscular frame loomed over her, his wide chest and broad shoulders crowded her.

He pushed the sleeves of his shirt up revealing thick forearms. His cold, dark eyes seared her with, what? Hatred? What had she done?

She drew herself up and took another step back. "What do ye want?"

"I want ye, lass."

Excerpt from Heather:
In this scene, Heather and Alec are walking in the woods. Alec is suspicious of a young warrior he had witnessed fighting for the MacDougalls, while Heather worries he will uncover her secret.

They followed the trail that bordered thick woods. Their footsteps fell on a soft cushion of pine needles. Stars filled the dark, clear sky and a light wind encircled them. Heather tugged her wrap tighter around her shoulders and followed Alec down the path.

"Tell me about yourself, lass."

"There’s not much to tell. Since Mum’s death, I’ve run the castle, keeping the accounts straight—"

He stopped and faced her. "No, tell me what ye like to do. Tell me about yourself."

No one had ever shown an interest in her, what she liked or disliked. The idea he was interested thrilled her. "Well, I enjoy a swim in the loch."

His brow rose and a playful gleam twinkled in his eyes. "I should like to take ye for a swim in the loch."

Pinpricks crept up her neck, tingling across her cheeks. She quickly added, "And I enjoy drawing…and sewing…and gardening."

He winked and continued down the path, her hand ensconced in his, butterflies fluttering in her belly.

"The barn is coming along. I took yer advice," he said. "We added a beam across the middle that supports a pulley with ropes to move heavy sacks of grain or bales of hay."

"That’s wonderful. Thank ye."

"Yer sister seemed pleased."

"I have no doubt. She wants everything to be just so for her horses."

"Blake is a big help to her. The men listen to her opinion." Alec shook his head. "And she definitely expresses her opinion regularly for them to hear."

Heather chuckled. "Aye, that’s my little sister."

He tugged her hand. "It’s not often ye see men following a woman’s lead."

Heather stiffened. His face, hidden in the shadows, was unreadable. "What do ye mean?"

"Those men follow her orders without question. The stable hands are a close group. Each man watches out for yer sister and would seemingly do anything for her. They admire her." He stopped and faced her. "And ye, Heather. They listen to ye above all others."

"As I’ve said, Da has tremendous support and admiration from his men. They know with his injury, we’re doing all we can to hold together and repair our clan."

"All but the young warrior I’ve yet to see again."

Her stomach plummeted. Why did he have to keep bringing up the young warrior? She searched his face. Was he on to her?

"The day of the attack, I fought with a slender young lad." He leaned back from her and his gaze raked her up and down. "He was about yer size and he shot an arrow with precision."

He stepped behind her, lifted her hair and piled it on top of her head. His warm breath caressed the back of her neck causing fine hairs to stand on end.

She shivered. "Ye describe many of Da’s warriors."

Alec let her hair fall around her shoulders and skimmed his hands down her arms to interlace his fingers through hers. He pulled her back against his chest, surrounding her with his heat and rested his chin on her head. They stood in silence.

She cringed. If he knew the truth, would he caress her like this? Or like Richard, would he deceive her into believing he cared for her in order to acquire Da’s land?

"Are ye keeping something from me, Heather?"
* * * * *
About Lane McFarland:
Starting out as an accountant in line with the rest of the corporate echelons struggling up the proverbial ladder, I soon realized the long nights and numerous weekends of closing books and reporting financial results no longer appealed. So, I decided to hit the road selling financial software. Jumping from one high-pressured frying pan into the other, the stress of the road-warrior life and constant deadlines took its toll. I needed a release and found that with my face buried in historical romance books, I could escape to worlds of intrigue with timeless love and happily-ever-after endings. Today, I am fortunate to have found my true passion in writing of spirited heroines and to-die-for-heros and the romantic love stories between them.

* * * * *
The Daughters of Alastair MacDougall
Cameron / Available from

Heather / Available from

Lane’s Author Links:

18 comments:

  1. Thank you for having me, Pat! It is so nice to visit with you today. :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted to host you and the MacDougall clan, Lane. Best of luck with the series!

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy for you!! Congratulations on your books. Tweeted and shared on FB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ella! I appreciate you stopping by. :0)

      Delete
  3. Love it, Lane! I wish you great success with your books. Cameron sounds terribly exciting. So does Heather. Can't wait to read them!
    ~Cate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cate! I appreciate you stopping by for a visit. :0)

      Delete
  4. Fun to get to know you, Lane. I love both the covers - very attractive and I am sure they will get readers to pick them up. Best wishes to you on lots of sales.You know I love anything Scottish!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Paisley! I love anything Scottish, too!!! :0)

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful idea for a series! And those alpha male heroes set my heart a-pounding, Lane :-) I especially love the cover for Cameron. All the best with your series!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Kate! I love those alpha male heros, too! :0)

      Appreciate you dropping by!

      Delete
  6. I am a Scottish romance fan! Especially since I am Scottish :-). Thanks for the great reviews. I am adding these to my reading list! Another good historical romance book I recommend that I just finished is called, "A Thousand Years of Johnny Von," by Edith M. Cortese. What I loved about this one are the vignettes that take you through the ages to the modern day with an unexpected, but fun ending. http://www.trumpetboypress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "A Thousand Years of Johnny Von" sounds wonderful. Thank you for the recommendation and for stopping by for a visit, Audrey!

      Delete
  7. Lane, I love both Cameron and Heather. They're great, feisty ladies who get their strong, sexy Highland heroes. Best of luck with both of the books. Barb Bettis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Barb! I love feisty ladies and especially their strong, sexy Highlander heros! :0)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations again, Lane! I'm so thrilled for you and I LOVE the covers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Alexa! Thank you very much... Don't know what I would have done without you! :0)

      Delete
  9. What an enjoyable post! Thank you, Lane, and thanks to everyone who stopped by to visit. She has chosen her winners. Audrey Geddes, Lane will contact you via email. KateC, we don't have your email address. Please email Lane at mcfarland dot lane at gmail dot com. Thanks again, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for hosting me and giving me the chance to talk about my books, Pat. I really appreciate your time and gracious offer to highlight my new series.

    Thanks to everyone who stopped by and especially those that left comments. :0)

    Lane

    ReplyDelete