Sunday, July 17, 2016

Tracy Traynor: Idi & The Oracle's Quest

Author Tracy Traynor has a gem of a story here, a children's fantasy packed with magic and adventure. Idi & The Oracle’s Quest is the first book in her "Born to Be" series, currently in the works. Tracy visits today to tell us about herself and her writing.

Welcome to The Plain, Tracy. What components, in your opinion, make a great story?
Relationships are key.
What inspired you to write Idi & The Oracle’s Quest?
I didn’t set out to write, it kind of just happened. One day I got into our Beetle to drive the boys to school and this woman popped into my head. I could see her clearly, the colour of her eyes and hair and what she was wearing. When I got out of the car she had disappeared, not giving it a second thought I went about my day. The following day the same thing happened, only this time she was running through a maze. And so the story built, day by day, in my head – whilst I was driving! Obviously not something I recommend. After three months it was driving me crazy, so after reading something about writing down things that bother you I decided to write it down so it could go away! I picked up a pen and started to write …. and just couldn’t stop. That was over twenty years ago now and I have re-written it several times.
How did you come up with the title?
It was easy, Idi is my main character and the story begins with the Oracle sending Marcus (the Magician) in search of Idi to take him on a quest.
Was there much research involved?
I have to be honest and admit I love Google. I have always struggled with English being dyslexic (at school they wouldn’t let me learn French because they said I couldn’t speak English correctly and I had to have extra English lessons … which didn’t help) so now when I am writing a scene will come into my head and I will see it clearly and I know how I want to describe it but I like to Google the correct terms used in my writing for example shipping.
Is there a message in your story you want readers to grasp?
Yes, yes and yes. I have tried to make it subliminal so it doesn’t feel as if the writer is pushing their beliefs on you, however, my whole drive is that some young person somewhere would relate to Idi and be encouraged not to let bullying and name calling label them and affect their way of thinking.
What do you feel is your biggest strength as a writer?
I’m a storyteller. People have tried to advise me not to tell but to show, but with this I greatly suffer because I can’t even grasp what they are saying to me. My whole persona is a story teller this one thing I have been unable to change, biggest strength you ask? Writing so that you can see the places and the people I talk about.
Sounds like you really enjoy storytelling. What do you like least about writing?
Editing, maybe not the first time, or even the second, but when you reach six and seventh time of editing it really does become a job.
Which authors do you feel have influenced your writing most?
Enid Blyton and C S Lewis
What’s next for you? Can we look forward to a new story soon?
Book two is hopefully going to be on Amazon in December 2016. The story of Idi’s growth continues in Idi & The Talisman of Talia.
What does your family think of your writing?
One of my dreams would be that my boys would enjoy reading it – and they do, all four sons (now young men themselves) encourage me by telling me how much they enjoyed it, Sean – my eldest, has said recently that he plans to read it to Freja (his 3 year old daughter) when she is older, no nicer compliment than that.
I agree. What advice would you give an aspiring author?
The first draft of writing a book is the easy part, editing and re-writing becomes hard work. Keep your eye on the goal and chase your dream, those hours of editing will in the end all be worth it.
Great advice, Tracy. Thank you so much for telling us a little about yourself. And now, please tell us about Idi & The Oracle’s Quest.

• A fast-paced magical children’s fantasy novel with a strong message of encouragement and empowerment for those being bullied or put down because they are different.

• Author Tracy Traynor is an inspiring mother of four boys who writes to encourage children who suffer the prejudices that she did.

• An epic tale of the battle between good and evil with all of the elements that fantasy readers love but with an underlying emotional strength.

• The first book in a trilogy that, in the tradition of Ursula’ Le Guin’s Earthsea books, encompasses the best of fantasy adventure with a coming of age story.

Idi is a young boy who has never been loved. Marcus is an old man who wonders whether his life can still have value now he is old.

Abandoned at birth Idi grows up in a village where the people despise and ridicule him. It seems that Idi’s dreams of escape may have been answered one day, when Marcus the magician arrives and offers to take him on a quest, to save the future King of Talia. Along the journey Marcus begins to nurture Idi on the precepts of life and magic.

Idi’s battered self-esteem hinders his growth in magic, until his love for Katrina (a baby they save on their journey) helps him break through the walls he has created, enabling him to reach his full potential, and to become a magician that the world of Talia respect and love.
* * * * *
About Tracy Traynor:
Tracy Traynor grew up with the belief that she was stupid. Everyone told her so because she had learning difficulties so she thought it must be true. It was later, when she got divorced and discovered that she had the inner strength to raise four young boys on her own, that she began writing, determined to help children overcome the labels that others place on them.

Tracy lives in Merseyside, England.


* * * * *
Idi & The Oracle’s Quest / Available in Paperback and eBook from

2 comments:

  1. Wow that's amazing to see it written down, thanks so much Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting The Plain, Tracy. All the best to you and your writing!

      Delete